McAfee Database Engineer Intern (PhD)Primary Location Hillsboro, Oregon Additional Locations Date posted 10/31/2018
McAfee is the world’s largest dedicated security technology company. McAfee delivers proactive and proven solutions and services that secure systems and networks around the world, allowing users to browse and shop the web securely. With our unmatched security expertise and commitment to innovation, McAfee helps home users, businesses, the public sector and service providers to comply with regulations, protect data, prevent disruptions, identify vulnerabilities, and continuously monitor and improve their security. Our products are unique in how they work together to make security affordable and manageable. These days, the threats are tougher, and the perpetrators are trickier. As we have for more than 20 years, McAfee delivers superior protection that is trusted by millions of people.
DATABASE ARCHITECH OVERVIEW:
We are looking for a Database Architect who will help with database design, work on proposal for database changes. The ideal candidate is adept at using large data sets to find opportunities for product and process optimization and using models to test the effectiveness of different courses of action. Research work should be around relational databases and the candidate should be able to effectively translate user needs to database design. They must have strong experience using a variety of data mining/data analysis methods, using a variety of data tools, building and implementing models, using/creating algorithms and creating/running simulations.
- Strong problem-solving skills with an emphasis on product development
- Experience manipulating data sets and building statistical models
- Experience using statistical computer languages (R, Python, SLQ, etc.) to manipulate data and draw insights from large data sets
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Demonstrates expert knowledge of relational database concepts and implementation
- Experience working with and creating data architectures
- Knowledge of a variety of machine learning techniques (clustering, decision tree learning, artificial neural networks, etc.) and their real-world advantages/drawbacks
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft SQL 2008 – SQL 2016 Standard/Enterprise, Azure SQL Paas and IaaS
- Knowledge of advanced statistical techniques and concepts (regression, properties of distributions, statistical tests and proper usage, etc.) and experience with applications
- Knowledge and experience in statistical and data mining techniques such as: GLM/Regression, Random Forest, Boosting, Trees, text mining, social network analysis, etc
- Experience querying databases and using statistical computer languages: R, Python, SLQ, etc
- Experience with distributed data/computing tools: MySQL / SQL
- Evaluating and improving data models, database designs, data access and table maintenance
- Data modelling expertise - Should be able to design highly scalable, fault tolerant database systems
- Identifying trends or anomalies to improve the workflow and thus the performance
- Experience in Cloud based Data tools is a plus
- Should be able to design ETL jobs which will complement in data imports and reporting
- Knowledge of NoSQL and analytical tools is a plus
- Practical ability to visualize data, communicate the data, and utilize it effectively
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING THE INTERNSHIP:
This is a fulltime, internship based in Hillsboro, OR. The internship will start in May ’19 (if possible) and wrap up around Mid-August. You will undertake a challenging project designed to blend strategic and operational work. You will be provided with a full network of individuals to ensure you have an incredible internship experience and be assigned a mentor and peer-level buddy to help you navigate through the organization. Specific projects and responsibilities will be assigned based upon your skillset.
INTERNSHIP BEGINNING: Mid-May 2019
INTERNSHIP CONCLUSION: Mid-August 2019 (dates are flexible)
Pursuing a MS or PhD in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science or another quantitative field
HOW TO APPLY:
To be considered for an interview, you must complete an online application on our company website.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
McAfee Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. McAfee Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Shift 1 (United States of America)
US, Oregon, Hillsboro
McAfee prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.