Principal SQL Server DBAPrimary Location Plano, Texas Date posted 11/25/2019
Job Title:Principal SQL Server DBA
US, Texas, Plano
The Consumer DevOps team at McAfee is seeking a Principal Database Administrator focused on advanced performance tuning and query optimization, complex installation and configuration scenarios (both on-prem and AWS/Azure Cloud), standards/processes, complex database upgrades and migrations, capacity planning/forecasting and complex design scenarios. Immediate focus will be on migrating SQL Server 2008 and 2012 databases to SQL Server 2016+ and from log shipping/mirroring technologies to Always On Availability Groups. You will work with a geographically dispersed team of database administrators to develop detailed implementation plans for these complex scenarios. Facilitate technical discussions with peers and 3rd party resources to resolve service issues or complete project activities. Peer review technical documentation prepared by peers and cross-functional technical teams. Mentor more junior database administrators regarding industry standard best practices. Review performance and capacity trends and provide recommendations to management.
From device to cloud, McAfee provides market-leading cybersecurity solutions for both business and consumers. McAfee helps businesses orchestrate cyber environments that are truly integrated, where protection, detection, and correction of security threats happen simultaneously and collaboratively. For consumers, McAfee secures your devices against viruses, malware, and other threats at home and away. With the mission of capturing the biggest market share in the area of cyber security, network security, endpoint security, threat research, malware research, cloud security, we work together for a common goal of shaping the company’s future by designing and building best in class cyber security solutions.
- Experience with complex SQL Server migrations is required (2008/2012 to 2016/2017)
- An advanced level of understanding of SQL Server implementations, maintenance, performance tuning and optimization.
- The ability to effectively facilitate communications and collaborate with all staff levels, as well as work independently on complex projects and tasks.
- Strong organizational skills. The ability to prioritize workload independently.
- Initiative and an excellent attitude. Motivated to learn and apply new concepts quickly.
- Stay informed of the latest database and related technologies and provide feedback and recommendations to peers and management
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Expert understanding of the T-SQL language and SQL Server backup and restore concepts and implementations.
- Expert performance tuning and optimization skills.
- Expert understanding of index design and management.
- Expert understanding of SQL Server security concepts and implementations.
- Expert understanding of filegroups and data file layouts.
- Expert understanding of concurrency and locking concepts.
- Expert with SQL Server tools, including SSMS, Profiler, Tuning advisor, Query Store, Configuration Manager, Execution Plans,
- Expert understanding of SQL Server installations and configurations for stand-alone, Windows/SQL clustering and Availability Groups.
- Expert troubleshooting skills using tools, system tables and stored procedures, and dynamic management views. The ability to use the SQL command line and DAC.
- Expert understanding of high availability, disaster recovery and transactional replication concepts and implementations (clustering, mirroring, replication, log shipping, availability groups).
- Expert troubleshooting Windows clustering as well as transactional replication, mirroring, replication, log shipping, availability groups.
- Advanced understanding of wait statistics, execution plans and performance tuning concepts.
- Use of built-in and 3rd party monitoring tools (Idera Diagnostic Manager and Solarwinds Database Performance Analyzer)
- Advanced understanding of table partitioning.
- Advanced understanding of Windows system administration.
- Develops and maintains standards for implementation, maintenance, and optimization.
- Reviews performance and capacity planning reports and makes recommendations to management. Implements approved recommendations.
- Demonstrates strong customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrates expertise in how multiple technologies interrelate.
- Advanced knowledge of service levels and business impacts of system unavailability.
- Demonstrates strong project management and influence skills.
- Effectively communicates with multiple levels of the technical, business, and management community regarding service, process, and technical issues.
- Remains informed of technology and process enhancements within the industry and proactively shares with peers.
- Demonstrates advanced ability to successfully develop, plan, implement and test systems.
- Recognizes patterns of problems, issues, or opportunities and resolves them on a scale larger than incident, e.g., problem management.
- Creates, communicates and implements solutions to address integration, technical, service, or process issues across multiple environments. Provides significant influence in designing processes and procedures.
- Accurately logs and tracks all problems or work utilizing existing problem management or project management tools. Proposes solutions using data analysis for increased effectiveness/efficiency. Solutions are expected to be actionable.
About the Role:
- Act as the technical lead on mid to large size projects
- Directly interact with the technical architects and drive database infrastructure solutions.
- Be responsible for analyzing business requirements; determining appropriate technical approach and developing specifications for implementation.
- Designs, develops, and performs complex software installations and configuration changes.
- Assist more junior database administrators with complex operational maintenance activities.
- Be expected to lead technical design activities, produce sizing estimates, consult on testing plans, and participate in all related software build and deployment activities.
- Work closely with the IT Operations staff to diagnose and resolve escalated technical issues with production systems.
- Define strategies for backups, migration of database changes, and longer term system growth.
- Long term planning for scalability of the database infrastructure.
- Lead performance analysis and tuning of the databases and applications.
- Develop health checks/monitors for monitoring systems
- Maintain and improve the build, management and deployment framework and participate in the design and documentation of this environment
- Establishes and enforces all database standards. Analyzes all informational requirements of new or production systems and develops database specifications. Establishes and enforces controls to ensure database integrity.
- Interfaces with application owners and developers to resolve advanced technical issues.
- Participates in the incident and event escalation process.
- Participates in the problem management.
- Utilizes monitoring and troubleshooting tools to restore service.
- Participates in root cause analysis by gathering and reviewing pertinent logs and collaborating with peers and management.
- Additional duties as assigned
Company Benefits and Perks:
Our corporate culture and values are central to McAfee’s philosophy. Every day we embrace a more diverse workforce and inclusive environment. We are encouraged to bring our true selves to work. Our wide range of social communities & programs, flexible work hours and family-friendly benefits, all allow our employees to feel valued as people, while enjoying positive and challenging work.
Check out more: Careers & Life at McAfee.
Perks may include:
Pension / Retirement Programs
Medical, Dental and Vision Coverage Programs
Paid Time Off
Support for Community Involvement
Unleash your Power … Join our Talent Network: http://careers.mcafee.com/
McAfee prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.