Lead Software Engineer, DataPrimary Location Toronto, Ontario Date posted 09/15/2020
Job Title:Lead Software Engineer, Data
Our TunnelBear team is looking to add a Lead Software Engineer, Data to our team. You will report to the Director of Engineering and help shape the future of what data engineering is at TunnelBear .As a growing organization, our goal is to ensure we're able to contribute where we feel most effective, so we welcome both generalists and specialists. We use tools like JIRA and Github but we like to adapt as times change. We try not to get too attached to specific technologies, frameworks, or programming languages and like to let our engineers pick what's right for the job.
TunnelBear, a McAfee company, believes the world is a better place when everyone has open access to information. Our powerful security apps provide a simple way for people to browse the internet privately, wherever they are. As the only consumer VPN to perform annual, independent, 3rd party security audits, our users can trust us to keep their connection secure. Our main office is in beautiful Toronto, Canada, but our sleuth is global.
From device to cloud, McAfee provides market-leading cybersecurity solutions for both business and consumers. We help businesses orchestrate cyber environments that are truly integrated, where protection, detection, and correction of security threats happen simultaneously. For consumers, McAfee secures your devices against viruses, malware, and other threats, both at home and away. We want to continue to shape the future of cybersecurity by working together to build best in class products and solutions.
- You will lead our data engineering team and shape the future of what data engineering is at TunnelBear
- You will make important decisions on how we architect and grow our pipeline and infrastructure
- You will work with our analytics and censorship circumvention teams to determine data warehousing requirements and specifications
- You will oversee the performance and data integrity of the data infrastructure
- You will manage our Amazon Redshift database according to analytics needs.
- You will write fault-tolerant, automated ETL (Extract Transfer Load) pipelines using Python and Apache Airflow
- You will store and handle immense amounts of user data while respecting the privacy of our users
- You will assist the analytics and marketing team in data analysis using SQL
- You will author the occasional bear-themed pun (optional)
- You have 4+ years of experience with data engineering technology and understand which tools to use and why
- You have 4+ years of experience with Python
- You have experience with SQL, and star schemas/dimensional database design
- You have experience with Apache Airflow, Amazon S3, and Amazon Redshift.
- You have knowledge of Java or Scala and Play framework
- You are familiar with tools like Apache Spark, Amazon SQS, Amazon Lambda, Amazon DynamoDB
- You write concise and well-tested code
- You have experience tailoring communication based on the audience (business vs. technical)
- You have an interest in internet security and privacy
Don't worry, just apply:
If some of the above doesn't line up perfectly with your experience, we still encourage you to apply!
Company Benefits and Perks:
We work hard to embrace diversity and inclusion and encourage everyone at McAfee to bring their authentic selves to work every day. We offer a variety of social programs, flexible work hours and family-friendly benefits to all of our employees.
- Pension and Retirement Plans
- Medical, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Parental Leave
- Support for Community Involvement
We're serious about our commitment to diversity which is why McAfee prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.