Senior Site Reliability EngineerPrimary Location Toronto, Ontario Date posted 09/15/2020
Job Title:Senior Site Reliability Engineer
The TunnelBear Engineering team is looking for a full-time versatile Site Reliability Engineer with a focus on infrastructure management and an eye for security. As part of the team, you’ll work with backend, cloud, availability, networking, counter-censorship and security specialists around prototyping what next-gen VPN technology will look like.
TunnelBear, a McAfee company, believes the world is a better place when everyone has open access to information. Our powerful security apps provide a simple way for people to browse the internet privately, wherever they are. As the only consumer VPN to perform annual, independent, 3rd party security audits, our users can trust us to keep their connection secure. Our main office is in beautiful Toronto, Canada, but our sleuth is global.
From device to cloud, McAfee provides market-leading cybersecurity solutions for both business and consumers. We help businesses orchestrate cyber environments that are truly integrated, where protection, detection, and correction of security threats happen simultaneously. For consumers, McAfee secures your devices against viruses, malware, and other threats, both at home and away. We want to continue to shape the future of cybersecurity by working together to build best in class products and solutions.
About the role:
- You will get exposure to running and building a network of VPN servers distributed in 20+ countries.
- You will monitor systems and application performance.
- You will participate in incident responses and blameless postmortems.
- Your work will draw on security, networking, development, and configuration management experience, and as a result, you can expect to grow into a sharper, more flexible, and versatile programmer.
- You can also count on being surrounded by an inclusive, helpful team to support and tackle challenges alongside you.
- You will dabble with all forms of development, such as an occasional tweaking of our backend API. We are a small company, so naturally the kind of people who tend to succeed in our team are generalists.
- You will have a special focus on a counter-censorship project.
- You will use infrastructure as code technologies with a security-first mindset.
- You will participate in an on-call rotation, including off-hours and holidays. Our escalations are low and our focus on constant improvement will keep it that way!
- VPN infrastructure maintenance and optimization.
- You will author the occasional bear-themed pun (optional...sort of).
- You feel right at home in the terminal, comfortable with Linux or OS X.
- You are well versed in network fundamentals like TLS, sub-netting, routing.
- You have 2+ years experience with Linux networking, especially iptables or nftables.
- You have experience with Ansible, Go-Lang, and Rust.
- You've used some form of configuration management.
- You have knowledge of anti-censorship technologies.
- You have 4+ years experience with Python.
- You have experience with WireGuard, Pluggable Transports, OpenVPN, IPSec, FreeRadius, or Bind.
Don't worry, just apply:
If some of the above doesn't line up perfectly with your experience, we still encourage you to apply!
Company Benefits and Perks:
We work hard to embrace diversity and inclusion and encourage everyone at McAfee to bring their authentic selves to work every day. We offer a variety of social programs, flexible work hours and family-friendly benefits to all of our employees.
- Pension and Retirement Plans
- Medical, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Parental Leave
- Support for Community Involvement
We're serious about our commitment to diversity which is why McAfee prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.