Senior Backend Developer- RemotePrimary Location Canada Date posted 10-May-2022
Role Overview:McAfee's VPN Engineering team is looking for an experienced and passionate full-time Backend Software Engineer to join the Infrastructure team and help us build and grow our network that is used by over 35M people around the world.
As part of the team, you'll be working closely with Infrastructure, Client, Data, and Security specialists to create experiences that keep our users secure, private, and more confident online. You will get exposure to building and optimizing the software that runs on a network of VPN servers distributed in 30+ countries.
The work will draw on design, development, security, networking, and data experience, and as a result, you can expect to grow into a sharper, more flexible, and versatile programmer. You can also count on being surrounded by an inclusive and helpful team that will support, strengthen, and tackle challenges alongside you.
We are a small team, so naturally the kind of people who tend to succeed in our team are generalists. You should be comfortable in dabbling with all forms of development, such as occasionally tweaking our CI/CD pipelines or our VPN code.
This is a remote position in Canada. We will only consider candidates currently in Canada and are not offering relocation assistance at this time.
About our team
You will be joining a tight-knit team of easy going individuals who like to work hard and have fun together. You will be invited to join one of the many clubs we hold dear - from board-games to winter sports and more.
An ideal fit will enjoy contributing to a team where the result is greater than the sum of its parts. We always support each other and are excited to share their knowledge and advice. We encourage a culture where your ideas are valued and respected !
About the Role
- Write clear, concise and well-tested code in Scala, and occasionally in Java or other languages. You don't have to know all (or any) of these coming in, provided that you can demonstrate that you can learn things quickly.
- Implement and maintain the backend APIs used by our clients.
- Implement and maintain our backend infrastructure services that manage our VPN network.
- Ensure the privacy and security of our user management services.
- Collaborate with our connection analytics and censorship circumvention teams to improve our VPN network.
- You feel right at home in the terminal, comfortable with Linux or macOS.
- You have 4+ years experience working with backend technology, and you understand which tools and frameworks to use and why.
- You have a strong understanding of SQL, and relational database design.
- Familiarity with functional programming languages, such as Scala or Python is a plus.
- Experience with AWS (ECS, RDS, Elasticache, S3...) is an asset.
- Familiarity with Docker/Containerization is also a bonus.
- You have demonstrated ownership and pride over your projects and are able to work outside of your usual comfort zone.
- You have strong verbal and written communication skills, ability to tailor communication based on the audience (business vs. technical).
- You get bonus points for knowledge of anti-censorship and privacy technologies
McAfee is a leader in personal security for consumers. Focused on protecting people, not just devices, McAfee consumer solutions adapt to users’ needs in an always online world, empowering them to live securely through integrated, intuitive solutions that protects their families and communities with the right security at the right moment.
Company Benefits and Perks:
We work hard to embrace diversity and inclusion and encourage everyone at McAfee to bring their authentic selves to work every day. We offer a variety of social programs, flexible work hours and family-friendly benefits to all of our employees.
- Pension and Retirement Plans
- Medical, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Parental Leave
- Support for Community Involvement
We're serious about our commitment to diversity which is why McAfee prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.