Senior Platform Engineer\Data EngineerPrimary Location Canada, Waterloo Date posted 01/06/2021
Job Title:Senior Platform Engineer\Data Engineer
Role Overview:Role Overview:
We are looking for a new team member who is passionate about data engineering and software development, has a strong interest in cyber security, and wants to join our collaborative team as a Software Development Engineer to help drive high quality business and engineering insights of McAfee’s consumer family of security products. This role will report to an Engineering Manager within the Consumer Product Engineering Team.
From device to cloud, McAfee provides market-leading cybersecurity solutions for both business and consumers. We help businesses orchestrate cyber environments that are truly integrated, where protection, detection, and correction of security threats happen simultaneously. For consumers, McAfee secures your devices against viruses, malware, and other threats, both at home and away. We want to continue to shape the future of cybersecurity by working together to build best in class products and solutions.
Working at our Waterloo development center – one of the most vibrant tech cities in Canada – you will exhibit a deep understanding of all aspects of software development, data engineering, design, governance, automation, analysis and reporting. In addition, you will have the capability to quickly learn and adapt to new data technologies in a fast-paced and dynamic big data environment while effectively engaging with product engineers, data consumers, stake-holders and other engineers on the team.
In a world where digital security is becoming more and more critical, we are offering you a rare opportunity to help grow McAfee’s data-driven culture for better business, engineering and customer outcomes, so that we can continue to lead the way in protecting consumers’ digital lives.
From device to cloud, McAfee provides market-leading cybersecurity solutions for both business and consumers. McAfee helps businesses orchestrate cyber environments that are truly integrated, where protection, detection, and correction of security threats happen simultaneously and collaboratively. For consumers, McAfee secures your devices against viruses, malware, and other threats at home and away. With the mission of capturing the biggest market share in the area of cyber security, network security, endpoint security, threat research, malware research, cloud security, we work together for a common goal of shaping the company’s future by designing and building best in class cyber security solutions.
About the Role:
- Designing, implementing and deploying core data platform services to cloud
- Using PaaS & SaaS to operationalize our data platform
- Optimize the data platform performance and efficiency
- Define and govern our platform’s Service Level Agreements
- Provide architecture designs to provision new integrations
- Performing the duties and rituals of an agile development lifecycle
- Working with team and cross-team members to design, develop, debug and release production quality products
- Creating and using development, test and analysis tool chain to help automate and improve software quality
- Develop and optimize our CI/CD process
- Curate and manage telemetry, dataflows and workflow automation to help the business understand and improve business outcomes
- 10+ years software development experience
- At least five years building robust ETL pipelines
- In-depth knowledge of distributed systems and data flows
- Hands on experience with a big data platform
- Have led the design of:
- A large-scale data pipeline from scratch
- Information extraction from semi-structured as well as unstructured text data
- A data warehouse
- Implemented data pipelines in the public cloud, Azure or AWS
- Experience with designing complex Data Models and Data Engineering Solutions for large scale Data Warehouse/Data Lakes from various data sources
- Strong Database Management system knowledge; Experience with PostgreSQL, MySQL and NoSQL Databases are needed.
- Expertise in Object Oriented and/or Functional Programming skills (SQL, Java/Scala, Microsoft .Net, Espresso, Python/R, Unix/Linux/Perl scripting,)
- Expertise with data modeling, data access, and data storage techniques
- Strong experience with DataBricks and PySpark
- Relevant experience with Amazon Athena & Redshift
- Excellent oral, written, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Computer Science or related field
- Understands and balances trade-offs in software and data requirements and design
- Collaborates, analyzes, documents and converges on design in a large group
- Wants to solve problems and make a difference in the world
Nice to have
- Experience with Data Integration, Business Intelligence and Analytics tools and/or any other open source and self-service analytics tool (Airflow, Azure Data Factory, Tableau Software experience) is a plus
Our corporate culture and values are central to McAfee’s philosophy. Every day we embrace a more diverse workforce and inclusive environment. We are encouraged to bring your true selves to work. Our wide range of social communities & programs, flexible work hours and family-friendly benefits, all allow our employees to feel valued as people, while enjoying positive and challenging work. Check out more: Careers & Life at McAfee. Perks include:
- Pension / Retirement Programs
- Medical, Dental and Vision Coverage Programs
- Support for Community Involvement and Programs
Unleash your Power … Join our Talent Network: http://careers.mcafee.com/
Company Benefits and Perks:
We work hard to embrace diversity and inclusion and encourage everyone at McAfee to bring their authentic selves to work every day. We offer a variety of social programs, flexible work hours and family-friendly benefits to all of our employees.
- Pension and Retirement Plans
- Medical, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Parental Leave
- Support for Community Involvement
We're serious about our commitment to diversity which is why McAfee prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.